If you see a message in Elgato Game Capture HD software that
"No capture devices found"
"Connect your capture device to get started"
"Capture device not connected"
then Elgato Game Capture HD software can't fully communicate with the Elgato Game Capture HD hardware. This could be an issue with the USB connection, or some unusual error in the software or hardware.
Please try the following steps to see if they help with this issue:
1) The Elgato Game Capture HD software may need to be reset.
Solution: Quit the Elgato Game Capture HD software, and then launch it again.
2) The Elgato Gaming hardware may need to be reset.
Solution: Unplug the Elgato Game Capture HD hardware from the Mac or PC, and video source. Wait a minute, and then attach everything again.
3) The connection between Elgato Gaming device and the computer may be damaged or defective.
Solution: If the Elgato Gaming unit is connected via USB, then try another USB cable. Try another USB port on your Mac or PC, and also restart your computer.
If you have another computer, try your Elgato Gaming hardware with it. This will let you know if the problem may be with the computer, or Elgato Gaming hardware.
4) A device on the USB bus may be causing the problem.
Solution: Unplug all other devices from the USB bus, and then try the Elgato Gaming hardware again. If that helps, then reconnect the devices to your Mac or PC, one at a time, trying the Elgato Gaming hardware when each device is attached. If you find that one particular device is causing the conflict, then please disconnect that device when using Elgato Game Capture HD, and contact that device's manufacturer for more help.
5) The Elgato Game Capture HD software may need to be updated.
Solution: While Elgato Game Capture HD is running, visit the Game Capture HD Menu, and select Check For Updates. That will allow you to download the latest Elgato Game Capture HD software, which may help with your problem.
You can also download the latest software and drivers from these pages:
Elgato Game Capture HD Software Release Notes (Windows)
Elgato Gaming Hardware Drivers (Windows)
Elgato Game Capture HD Software Release Notes (macOS)
6) The USB or port may need to be reset.
Solution: For Mac users, Resetting the PRAM sometimes can resolve USB connectivity issues.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3) Press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer's startup sound.
4) Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5) Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6) Release the keys.
7) Try to use the Elgato Gaming hardware again.
You can also reset other aspects of your Mac:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25631?locale=en_US (macOS Sierra)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 (Older macOS)
7) Your Windows or Mac OS installation may not be fully up to date.
Solution: Visit Microsoft.com or Apple.com for information about the latest OS versions and security updates.
macOS / OS X
If none of these steps help, then please contact Elgato Technical Support for further troubleshooting.
You can visit https://help.elgato.com to report your problem. Please let us know that you tried the steps in this article.